Eating and drinking is most definitely one of our favourite pass times. We love good food and we loving sharing good food with friends and family.
Heading out to Taste of Joburg this year was on our must do list. We had planned to visit the festival on Sunday. However as fate would have it Anthi won a competition run by the awesome folk from Jobest and JC Le Roux. #Winning
It was our first time and boy was it awesome.
Initially we hopped from one wine stall to the other and very quickly realised that drinking our way through the festival was not the best idea. We needed to pair our amazing wine with great tasting food; and so we did.
These are some of our favourite stalls that are a must visit:
- A la Bouffe, French cuisine at it’s best, we had the Mint cured kingklip with chilled cucumber veloute
- Hashi, Japanese fusion. Try the Salmon Kizu, mouth watering delicious
- We started looking for something sweet to eat and boy were we lucky to find the Damas bakery stand. Packed with the most phenomenal mini baklava variations that you could imagine
- We do love the odd glass of wine, we really aren’t big drinkers, we basically become cheap dates and can not handle more that one drink. However when you taste the awesomeness of Fireball No. 6 Whisky very little will stop you from having an entire bottle. Very little
- You can not celebrate Spring without a little bubbly. JC Le Roux’s 2008 Scintilla Vintage Reserve was exactly what we needed. We loved it so much that we took a bottle home
- If you visit the wine lands of the Western Cape as often as we do then you will know that Tokara is one of the best wine producing farms around. They also produce high quality olive oil that rivals the best in Europe. An absolute must buy
- It seems that local micro breweries are upping their game and brewing some of the best beers, ales and ciders. Our favourites on the day were, Two Okes Brewery, Sxollie Cider and Soweto Gold. Give these guys some love and buy local. You won’t be disappointed
- We walked past a stand serving Burgers and Boeries a couple of times. Admittedly it didn’t entice us to give anything a try. We were wrong to brush them over. They served the best burger of the day. Woodview makes their burgers using Wagyu beef. We wanted to go back for more. But gluttony isn’t a great personality trait #StuffedOurFaces
- Tapas excites us. It’s the variety, just enough of everything. Escondido served up lip smacking plates of awesome. Just order everything they have. Have your own little feast and savour every bite
- Our ultimate meal came from Eatery Jhb. Those guys know how to make honest, simple and delicious food and you will go back for more. That is a guarantee. We tried all they had on offer. We ate a lot ok. Stop judging us
If you haven’t been to Taste of Joburg before, we hope we have given you enough reason to try it out. Take friends and family, try out as many tasting plates as you can and relax in the warm Johannesburg sun.
Tip: Take a taxi, you are going to have fun and you will end up having a little more to drink than you plan. Stay safe out there!
The festival runs till 27 September. Tickets can be bought at the door or from iTickets.
Other up and coming festivals in and around Joburg to look out for are:
Festa di Primavera 26 September – 27 September
Joburg Bierfest 9 October – 11 October
Organic Life Fair 9 October – 11 October
RMB WineX 28 October – 30 October
Huddle Park Beer Fest 31 October